A Canadian musician, Robbie Robertson, received the spotlight as a lead guitarist for Bob Dylan in the mid-late 1960s. He worked with The Band, from the early-mid 1970s to 1978 as a guitarist and songwriter. Robbie had earned a position at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the Canadian Music Hall of Fame. His hit songs are The Weight, The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, Up on Cripple Creek, Broken Arrow and Somewhere Down the Crazy River, and many others.
Early Life of Robbie Robertson
On July 5, 1943, Robbie Robertson was born Jaime Royal Robertson in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. He died at 80 years old. His horoscope was Cancer. He used to celebrate his birthday on the 5th of July. He was the son of Rosemarie Myke (mother) and Alexander David Klegerman (father). His mother worked at the Coro jewelry plating factory, while his father was a professional gambler.
His father died when he was an infant due to a hit-and-run accident, and his mother married her co-worker, James Patrick Robertson. James adopted him as his son. The name of his cousin is Herb Myke. His paternal grandparents are Shmuel Chaim Klegerman and Sarah Nagel.
Robbie had citizenship in Canada and belongs to an Ashkenazi Jewish, Mohawk, and Cayuga Native Canadian ethnic background. He used to follow the Jewish religion. Robbie dropped out from R H King Academy in his teenage.
Robbie Robertson’s Wife
He was married to his wife, Janet Zuccarini. Janet is a Canadian entrepreneur, restaurateur, and Top Chef Canada judge. They started dating each other in 2018 and got engaged in 2022. Robbie and Janet secretly married and were living happily until his death.
His First Marriage & Past Relationship
His first wife was a journalist, Dominique Robertson. Robbie was only 25 years old when he walked down the aisle with Dominique on March 24, 1968. They divorced officially in 1976. He dated Susan Anspach from 1978 to 1980.
His Kids & Grandkids
He welcomed three children Sebastian Robertson, Alexandra Robertson, and Delphine Robertson with his ex-wife, Dominique. Delphine is a musical artist while Sebastian is a writer born on July 18, 1974. His grandchildren are Angelica, Donovan, Dominic, Gabriel, and Seraphina.
Robbie Robertson’s Net Worth
As of 2023, Robbie had an estimated net worth of $50 million which he earned throughout his professional career. His annual salary was $400k. He bought a house in Beverly Hills for $2.7 million and eventually sold it for $3.9 million in March 2021.
Robbie Robertson, leader of The Band, dies aged 80
Robertson died on August 9, 2023, in Los Angeles, California, United States. He died after a long illness with prostate cancer for a year at 80 years old. His manager, Jared Levine confirmed his death as:
“Robbie was surrounded by his family at the time of his death, including his wife, Janet, his ex-wife, Dominique, her partner Nicholas, and his children Alexandra, Sebastian, Delphine, and Delphine’s partner Kenny. In lieu of flowers, the family has asked that donations be made to the Six Nations of the Grand River to support the building of their new cultural center.”
His Friendship With Martin Scorsese
Robbie was very close to Martin Scorsese, a film director. After the death of Robbie, Martin paid tribute to him by saying:
“Robbie Robertson was one of my closest friends, a constant in my life and my work, I could always go to him as a confidante. A collaborator. An advisor. I tried to be the same for him.”
Professional Career of Robbie Robertson
- Robertson joined the band, Hawks and performed with Bob Dylan.
- Robbie established a band named, The Band alongside Rick Danko, Garth Hudson, Richard Manuel, and Levon Helm in 1968.
- They released their debut album, Music from Big Pink which became No.32 on Rolling Stone magazine’s list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.
- The band’s hit albums are Stage Fright, Cahoots, Planet Waves, and The Basement Tapes.
- In 1987, he released his solo album, Robbie Robertson.
- He released songs like Showdown at Big Sky and Sweet Fire of Love.
- In 1991, he released his second solo album, Storyville which included songs like Music for the Native Americans and Contact from the Underworld of Redboy.
- He appeared in a hit movie named, The Last Waltz as a producer and performer in 1978.
- He also played in Carny and Dakota Exile.
Songs & Albums
He released songs like The Weight, The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, Up On Cripple Creek, Atlantic City, and It Makes No Difference. His hit albums are Robbie Robertson, Storyville, Music for the Native Americans, Contact from the Underworld of Redboy, and How to Become Clairvoyant.
Movies & TV Shows
He played in movies like Killers of the Flower Moon, The Last Waltz, Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson and the Band, Carny, and Rumble: The Indians Who Rocked the World. He appeared in hit shows like Native America, Yonge Street – Toronto Rock & Roll Stories, Rock & Roll, Mardik: Baghdad to Hollywood, and The Full Moon Show.
Awards & Achievements
- In 2003, Robbie reached the position of Canada’s Walk of Fame.
- He also received the category of Lifetime Artistic Achievement at Governor General’s Performing Arts Award.
- Robbie achieved the category of Lifetime Achievement Award from the community of Six Nations on October 14, 2017.
FAQs of Robbie Robertson
What is Robbie Robertson’s Height?
Robbie had a tall height of 6 feet 1 inch and a body weight of 85 kg. He had a beautiful pair of brown color eyes and hair.
Was Robbie Robertson an author?
Yes, he was an author. He wrote books Legends, Icons and Rebels: Music That Changed the World and Hiawatha and the Peacemaker, Testimony.
Did Robbie Robertson attend Richard Manuel’s funeral?
No, Robbie didn’t attend Richard’s funeral. Robbie was subjected to a sung song, I Shall Be Released on the church organ but couldn’t appear.
Was Robbie Robertson involved in charity?
Yes, he was in charity during his lifetime. He was helping a Canadian charity, Artists Against Racism as a member.
tineb.org Related Posts
- Heather Abraham Wiki, Age, Height, Talk Pittsburgh, Husband, Net Worth
- David Novak Podcast, Bio, Wiki, Age, Books, House, & Net Worth
- Anali and Clayton (90 Day Fiance) Bio, Age, Height, Relationship, Net Worth
- John Mackey CEO, Biography, Wife, Whole Foods, and Net Worth
- Jordyn Negri Bio-Wiki, Age, Height, Family, Private Eyes, Net Worth, Blind